Tuning can be fun if one has confidence in using the tools
This is just a quick overview/listing, to decrease the chance of forgetting something. Details must be read from the GenBoard/Manual to satisfy necessery conditions.
Once you have spent the 60+ hours reading up on how to set up a v3.. you can do it quickly ;)
Unfortunately this is very true, we have to work on docs and tuningsoftware until necessary reading and preparations time is down to 20..30 hours for someone technically oriented, and 10 hours for very experienced tuners. It's an illusion to get this time below this. I spent about the 150 hours (8 weeks, appr. 4 hours a day) earlier with a much simpler ECM and better docs (although getting 75% of the info took only 10 hours reading the website and nice manual, and the mailing list consumed the other 140 hours to get the last 25% of necessary info).
Efficient (or even safe) tuning is only possible if all the SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE tools have been tried before the session starts.
Sounds very basic, but very easy to make the mistake of not trying something in advance - this can (if it can than it will) turn tuning into a nightmare.
- understand your config and tables. Typically when changing req_fuel and VE, the afterstart or warmup settings must be modified to get back the previously proven working pulsewidths.
- basic IO tests. keep a customized checklist, and don't hesitate to run through it when there is slightest doubt. A few minutes can save hours, and prevent damage.
- eg. injectors with GenBoard disconnected (resistance between injector output and flyback, with DVM in 200 Ohm)
- ignition with GenBoard on, engine off (mdn.. test). Wether using sparkplug (touching engine GND, but not anyone alive), or wire, after the appr. 1mm gap the signal must return to engine ground. Take care.
- fuel pump: hear the relay, pump; measure voltage, etc..
- other outputs (whatever appropriate)
- tuningsoftware basics
- setting basic variables:
- req_fuel, VE, cranking, afterstart, warmup data
- ignition trigger_tooth and tdcdelay
- ego config, max rich and lean limits
- ve_learn config. At least enable, disable, save to reference (mvs), backup from reference (mvr)
- setting lambda-target table
- setting ignition
- refining VE
- setting ignition again (yes, know how to change back and forth between tables!)
- verify EGT
- check ego correction continuously
- save config (and tables) to file
- restore config (and tables) from file
- compare config (mcd.txt overrides config.txt values, and difference is printed !!! very useful!!!)
- check firmware integrity (prog.pl without "w" option: see BootLoader)
This is required, even with the best tools. MegaTune and MegaTunix with GenBoard are far from the best, so being prepared is a must. The champion speed and precision of the lambda-target makes tuning 4..5 times faster than it would be with manual VE tuning (because of interaction between ignition and fuel related tuning), but poor tools make the process 1.5* longer if you are prepared and 20 times longer if not prepared (= end in anger, and reverting to learning before trying again). This is supposed to improve fast with the tools.
- fire extinguisher
- working WideBand and configured EGO correction
- LCD and keyboard (exiting and entering MegaTune / MegaTunix all the time is frustrating). This might not be needed so badly in the future, but for now the independent user interface to check ECU operation and configure settings is an invaluable help.
- cheatsheets: there are many things, don't try to remember. Take notes while you're working in the room (and have help from ChatViaIrc and this wiki) and make customized cheatsheets.
- keep checklists: customized checklist to run when sg. just doesn't work as expected (ain't start, etc..)
- ve learning setup: WideBand and EGO correction is needed for this too. Actually, with them ve learning is not a must, it's a child's play to adjust j table according to ego-correction direction (and amount).
- tool to take out sparkplug
- "hold-speed" dyno (not a must, but...)
- spare parts (sensors, etc..)
- TuningSession/ClosedloopTuning A step by step tuning procedure for tuning with the WBo2-based ego-correction activated. Look at how much the ECU correct the mixture and base your changes on that.
- TuningSession/OpenloopTuning A step by step tuning procedure for tuning with wbo2 but without ego-correction. Look at the actual mixture and the target mixture and base your decisions from that.