Hi, Engdahl here.
VIPER V10 with VEMS
How to run this engine? (tested on 1.2.33 , strobing needed, and finetune TDC positions )
Confirmed same as MembersPage/PeepPaadam/BMWwithViperEngine
But with inverted/falling edge pattern.
HALL,HALL (both crank and cam sensors HALL)
firing order 1,10,9,4,3,6,5,8,7,2
odd fire TDC 0,54,144,198,288,342,432,486,576,630
We assume wasted spark ignition: 5 ignouts for 10 cyls
exact positions (angles) of these TDC events:
- ... 0
- ... 144
- ... 288
- ... 432
- ... 576
- On Maserati 6cyl. oddfire (30° delay instead of 18°) the engine was not running good with wasted spark although the ignition advance is quite large on this engine (30° and more)
- Even on 5 cyl audi (360-72=288 and 360+72=432 deg) was running well with wastedspark (when all was good otherwise)... Wasted spark should work perfectly with the Viper +-18deg deviation if set up correctly)
Considering every 2nd crankpulse, evenly spaced, every 72 crankdeg:
- e = [0 :9 ] *72
- 0 72 144 216 288 360 432 504 576 648
- Alternating 0,18 crankdeg:
- e+o = 0 90 144 234 288 378 432 522 576 666
- As you see the result is 90, 54 crankdeg timing ... (because of 72+18, 72-18). Yes, this matches the Viper engine (can be also written as 54,90 crankdeg which is the same sequence just written differently).
If VVTI (camshaft angle control) will be used, check actuator authority range: if there is a "race-condition" between sectrig pulse and primtrig pulse.
First: Will Vems allow for ODD fire V10 config? Yes!
- we have investigated the needs and implemented some minor required firmware work, [firmware 1.2.33 ] supports your odd-fire viper v10, make sure to also update ini files from web in VT.
How to setup the odd fire sequence?
We have created a configlet for easy setup, in VT-> primary trigger settings select configlet "Chrysler_Viper_V10_10+1_Camsync" this takes care of most of the basic settings
- some calibrations still remain, strobing (and calibrating) TDC after the trigger
- do NOT set to "oddfire" (if this configlet hasn't configured so !). The spark delay will take care of the "oddity" in this case
- verifying the correct order of the 18 degree alternating delay; the configlet default now is 18 degree delay applied to the odd cylinder numbers, if the 18 deg delay on the even cylinder numbers is needed edit the configlet file "Chrysler_Viper_V10_10+1_Camsync.txt" (in your VT_install_dir/configlets/trigger), comment the line: "h=00 48 00 48 00 48 00 48" and uncomment the line "h=48 00 48 00 48 00 48 00"
Proof of concept triggerlog output (note the double amount of ign0/ign1 falling is normal because of the 'and 0x07' reported cylinder number)
- the key to set up is trigger type, ignchmax, reftooth and per cyl spark delay (odd fire config bit only has effect if RPM is fluctuating because of uneven tooth; Not needed for many setups, eg. if every 2nd tooth neglected by using auditrigger divby 2)
The Viper V10 is a 90 degree 10 cyl engine. 720 degrees / 10 = 72 degrees. And on a 90 degree engine that means 18 degree Odd fire on right-bank cylinders. Correct?
- for this trigger setup it is very likely that VT will show warning we will have to neglect: there are some special (rarely used) cases the firmware handles but outside "normal-range" for VT . Publish vemslog if in doubt (and your list => we can discuss and confirm each warning individually).
Example: separated cylinder spark delay does allow for more than 3 degree delay.
- VT sets a warning for >3 that can be safely neglected if one knows what he is doing (which usually implies the steps of specifying, asking help with benchtesting).
Order info for V3:
ECU VEMS V3
- 1-wire interface no
- EGT input 2
- ETC BridgeOutput?_Interface 0
- Flyback HighZ-only 30V flyback
- Hi-side PFET outputs 0
- ignition driver 8
- Knock input channels 0
- LCD connection yes
- MAP connection 400 kPa simplenipple
- mounting-style flanged case
- primary_trigger HALL
- secondary_trigger HALL
- Service ASAP
- Special requests yes
- withSDcard no
Dual 4.9 wideband inputs.
Lodaded with new 1.2.33 firmware with Viper V10 configlet.
Baseconfig (wiring must be specified for firing order)
- 5 inj-outputs
- 5 ign outputs +3 hidden entries also configured (by temporarily setting 8 ignouts). A B C D E (A B C)
- the last 2 appear nowhere (fully automatic, D E in this example)
Fuelpump Ec36 Pin 15.