Subpage of VemsTune
Upgrading firmware requires some hardware and software preparations.
Hardware preparations - IMPORTANT:
When uploading new firmware to a controller (even with a motronic55 connector!), to prevent filling cylinders with fuel or possible igncoil or igndriver damage:
- remove ignition fuses
- remove injector connectors and remove fuelpump relay
- or otherwise make sure the fuelpump is off, eg. hidden anti-theft switch
- Upload and verify config, and measure voltage in the injector connectors before powering the fuelpump
GenBoard/UnderDevelopment/FirmwareChanges lists changes between versions. When upgrading from 1.1.27 to 1.1.56, dozens of entries contain a lot of (sometimes boring or even hard-to-understand) changes.
- some of them are interesting for a certain user, others are not
- some are possible to upgrade automatically, or fill in with reasonable defaults.
Before 2009-06-30 the following steps applied (briefly):
- with 1.1.27 "Tools/Firmware/Download config" saves vemscfg
- "Tools/Firmware/Firmware upload" 1.1.56 firmware
- it was recommended to manually "Tools/Firmware/upload config" an 1.1.56 vemscfg file with "reasonable defaults"
- than "Tools/Firmware/Upload config" the vemscfg file (saved from 1.1.27 in the first step)
Since 2009-06-30 VemsTune can fill in the missing variables with "reasonable defaults" for 1.1.56 or newer firmware. This makes upgrades simpler, and far less likely for someone to have noise in MAT/TPS retard or MAT/TPS enrichment tables. It is still recommended to review dialogs and tables.
This tutorial shows how to upgrade the firmware in your ECU.
The first step is to download the needed firmware version.
You can do it by VemsTune with the "Firmware web tool" ( Tools menu/ Firmware).
The usage of Firmware web tool:
1.Click on the needed version on the left side
2.Push the Download button
3.Click on the firmware on the right side
4.Push the (Re)Install Firmware button
Next you have to connect to the ECU with VemsTune
Save your config with "Config Download" ( Tools menu/ Firmware )
It is recommended to make a backup copy with some notes from the config.
The location of the saved config file shown on the main window of VemsTune
Now you can make the upgrade with "Firmware upload" ( Tools menu/ Firmware )
After finished the firmware upload it is recommended to resart the ECU
At this time you have the new firmware and an absolutly unworkable config on the ECU, NEVER try to go with it!!!
The next step is to upload your config with "Config upload"
this can configure all new variables to default which is missing from your old config
The last and the most important step is to verify and calibrate the configuration with the VemsTune