notes for [VEMS Audi AAN] (with JPT/55 connector).
- See VemsAudiAan
- do NOT forget to create your page, see MembersPage
- this is very important when deviating from factory (VR/auditrigger) setup
- it is even more important if ordering inappropriate and changing from there (request "AAN ECU with HALL/HALL trigger" in the order comment when setup will be modified to HALL/HALL : without this, the ECU is made and tested for the factory VR/Auditrigger setup of course)
- even more important if ordered multiple ECUs with the wrong type (factory VR/auditrigger instead of requesting HALL / HALL)
- it is super-important if any complications appear (eg. no complete success with the first home-converted device).
For HALL / HALL sensor, a supply voltage is needed. +5V supply is included on JPT55/pin48..
- JPT55/pin48=+5V was requested by customers applying custom solution: HALL / HALL trigger. Those who order HALL / HALL type (because using nonstandard trigger setup) usually know what they are doing.
- Although possible to steal supply voltage from elsewhere, through JPT55/pin48 +5V supply can be made available for the HALL sensor in a convenient way (but care might be needed, to not plug in VR sensor, or short to GND)
- [paper] is included with HALL/HALL device that explicitely mentions this +5V
- this must be considered during install (before plugging in ECU and HALL sensors, measure that JPT55/pin48 is not shorted to GND, resistance must be >150 Ohm, and connectivity from JPT55 to sensor is as desired: HALL signal, GND and +5V).
- [trigger_assembly.pdf leaflet] and [some v3.9AAN illustrations] might be helpful to get some idea about the differences of standard VR/auditrigger setup, and when "AAN ECU with HALL/HALL trigger" requested
- download latest version
v3.9 AAN HALL / HALL looks like :
The RQ13=0 Ohm (slanted) can be replaced by a small wire.
- The red wire at the bottom connects +5V to JPT55/pin48.
- red wire is not required if the JP22 is present and middle to bottom is shorted (the middle to bottom solderblob does the exact same thing; but JP22 is only available on v3 srl>10520).
Bottom side (of bare board, before customized to HALL / HALL), some trigger related components annotated:
In case of any problem (or suspected problem), follow
- [Tech request]
- eg. specify intent (eg. "I accidentally ordered the standard type with factory trigger, and want to convert device srl/... from oid/...) from ... to ...
- detail what modifications made (yes, step-by-step, even if repeating some docs)
- measurement results (eg at JPT55 and sensor pins)
- (latest) photo of result
- triggerlog (with annotation, eg. sectrig enabled as camsync in config, but sectrig pulses not seen)
- for convenience, you can take notes on this page for now (will clean it up later)
If a conversion is not success, do NOT apply same to other devices (that would risk causing damage).
Home-conversion notes, measurements, photos ... add your notes...
[photos from customer, with partial conversion] - important areas highlighted
- applied. Next time please prefer SMD resistor from a rescuekit (of an econoseal v3.x ECU). Or if using throughole resistor, than use the throughole pads (of the "header", close to R30). Important to have the components mechanically secured so they don't fatigue from vibrations.
- Pin on Primary trigger measure 4,1Volt
- just in case, measure with 1k between GND and primarytrigger input: should measure +0.6V or higher. If you measure lower voltage (say 0.18V) that means weak pullup. This verification is quick and very useful.
- Also check that the HALL sensor has +5V supply and GND on the correct pins
- maybe it's grounded through some resistance ?? That would be tricky, but would explain that not good above >2000 RPM
- do you happen to have access to some scope (even an USB scope ?) Or soundcard input (with 10k / 1k voltage divider) ?
- Although not as good as scope, and only cranking without inj and ign is possible, but could be useful to provide some info: what can be seen in triggerlog if swapping the 2 HALL sensors: connect sectrig HALL signal to primtrig, and primtrig to sectrig ?
- remove SJ7 (done on the photo)
- remove R248 - remove some hotmelt to access
- Sec trigger is good (removed R248)
- install R48
- ... anything else done ? measured ?
- Primary Trigger is not good, no pulses beyond 2000 RPM, please look in [triggerlogs]
- [triggerlog is for cranking and idle]. Using 115200 baud it can be analyzed slightly above 2000 RPM (for 60-2 system) if normal logging is not active at the same time.
- If idles well, and no trigger-errors flagged, than vemslog (which includes "individual power" gauges, showing information about every spark event !) is normally enough at higher RPM
- scope might be needed anyway if there is some tricky situation... which is very rare (if ordered with HALL / HALL; now the home-conversion from VR/Auditrigger to HALL / HALL caused some complications).
Triggerlogs review and suggested fixes:
- both triggerlogs are of attempting to start/engine running format, please supply a triggerlog of engine cranking 8-10 seconds without ign and inj fuse.
- however, reviewing only the first section of the log (ignoring the rest) the following was found:
- 58 tooth on primary with good ratio (2.9-3.05) around missing tooth confirming good primtrig HALL selected edge and operation.
- 1 sectrig per 720 crank degree, confirming good sectrig operation
- 5 hills and valleys per 720 crankdeg suggests 5cyl, also good
- sectrig is inside the missing tooth window, this needs to be corrected! suggestion rotate your sectrig trigger wheel 30 cam deg to the left (will result in moving it 58-60 crank deg before missing tooth instead of almost lining up with missing tooth).
- the AAN HALL sensor cannot be (easily) adjusted, unlike the 3B. Possible to change in config: just use the other sectrig edge, and sectrig pulse will not be in the missing tooth gap any longer. After that, might need to adjust ignout sequence by 360 degrees (2 engine cycles +72 deg = 360 = 288+72 deg)
- after correcting the sectrig position take another triggerlog in suggested format (cranking 8-10 seconds without ign and inj fuse) and i will review.
- please also include a vemslogs of the same sequence (engine cranking) so i can review and hint at any bad (trigger) settings that might cause issues later.
Best regards, Dave
Triggerlog with primary trigger=falling and secondary trigger=falling:
Triggerlog with primary trigger=falling and secondary trigger=rising:
- note the 360 degree offset in ign0_falling position caused by the secondary trigger pulse moving past the missing tooth gap (now sparking at BDC)
- can be corrected by adjust ignition output rotation (shifting by 2) and adjust trigger tooth (+12) together these changes add up to a 360 degree offset
- v3=10585 originally only this was mentioned to be converted
- although not reported any other device serialnr, suspected that v3=10505 and v3=10519 also attempted ?
- these (AAN with srl less than 10520) might not have JP22