A useful terminal program should be able to display hexadecimal and connect to any specified rs232 port:
- gtkterm on linux is nice and popular
- http://bray.velenje.cx/avr/terminal (bray terminal) is a very good on win32. Try to download [ brayterminal from here] if the original page has problems (you can also google around)
- minimalistic [serialterm] for win32
- standard windows hyperterm is very lame, we avoid it
- [COM port toolkit] is a very powerful terminalprogram
- (eg. macro feature, and timestamping and time-based splitting of lines useful for RS485 RTU protocol). Maybe for simple ping ("let's see if this cable works") brayterm is more intuitive.
- Megaloader http://www.vems.hu/files/DavidHelland/megaloader.zip from MembersPage/DavidHelland for win, linux (src + binary) is text-only terminal emulator with up-load and down-load capability for MSAVR. Also programs HEX files into AVR Flash.
Although they cannot reach all variables of MS-AVR, the GUI applications are very nice for tuning the 2D maps: