Teppo Kalske from Finland, born 1972
I'm currently using VEMS on my daily driver Audi RS2 with 16x14 maps.
Using 1.1.23, soon testing 1.1.24 firmware with auditrigger
Yesterday I had plenty of trouble starting the engine when temp around -15°C.
Engine crank about nice, took bit of a while to get cam sync (1.0.53).
After getting sync engine tries to start (promises) but fails to start. Problem is that there seems to be a strange gap in ignition(?) when mode is changed from crank to running.
A: You have a Very High ignition advance from low RPM, (30+ degrees), also a very low cranking threshold rpm (300) and a low cranking advance
Set all three leftmost bins in the whole spark table to 15,9,25 and set a 15 degree cranking advance, 400 rpm threshold and try again //Emil
Result: No difference
Some inertia is needed to get over it and with a cold engine it is a real problem.
I tried different crank and afterstart ignition and fueling settings, no luck.
Another problem is that ecu seems to do too much Air Den enrichment. If I tune fuel-Map when IAT is around 10°C, it has to be changed to leaner about 5% when IAT is below 0°C, and even more when IAT is -10°C. (With warm engine of course)
Log, dump and msq can be found here:
I need help for picking right sensor-files, these are the measured points:
CLT (audi 5cyl 20vt standard sensor):
-20°C 11000 Ohm
0°C 6000 Ohm
100°C 200 Ohm
IAT (audi 1.8T 20v sensor):
-40°C 80000 Ohm
20°C 2400 Ohm
130°C 100 Ohm
Additional info to my 55pin v3.3 order
- all with MAP connection 400kPa onboard with default nipple for PnP? fitment
- PowerFlyback? with 30V diode
- Marcell found that 15..20k pullup works very well I also verified signal amplitude, and ghost amplitude. Margin is good (better than 27k pullup and 2,7k pulldown)
- LCD-connector through endplate (DSUB9 with flying loom)
- no PS2 connector
- WBO2 connection with 5pin SSC male
- WBO2 pin 1,3,4,5,6 goes to SSC5 1,2,3,4,5 (the heater+ is fed from an external fuse)
- Knock: yes, via motronic55 pins
- EGT yes, we agreed endplate flying loom (endplate mounted K-thermocouple connector would be possible, but the flying loom is more rugged)
- STD MAT pullup for use with Bosch 085 sensor (NOT stronger MAT pullup (429..430 Ohm) for better precision with audi std PTC IATs)
- for 3B
- SSC6 female(pin1..5 are outputs, pin 6 is GND) flying loom SSC female for COP upgrade
- 5 logiclevel outputs: 4 stepper + 1 strengthened i259 output, using 255Ohm (=510 Ohm/2) protecting resistor
- small in-box 25A relay - Not needed - Jörgen.
- switched by 3B pin27 (+12V) and 3Bpin24 (ground)
- main circuit is 3Bpin18 (+12V from battery via S27 fuse) and 3Bpin37 (flyback and power to injectors)
- Note: Fuse S27 is rumoured to be between battery and 3Bpin18 : please verify, and 20A fuse recommended
- Note: the AAN provided power to the injectors properly, but marcell's 3B harness did NOT. Marcell thought that was a problem with his particular (kindof broken) harness. We don't risk to connect 3Bpin37 to 3Bpin27 cause it might overload the ignition switch
WBO2 on SSC5 male standard - applies to both audi AAN and 3B (also to BMW):
- pin1 nernst,WBO2 pin 1
- pin2 WBO2 pin 3 (use a 5A fuse from +12V supply wire)
- pin3 heater(-),WBO2 pin 4
- pin4 pump(-),WBO2 pin 5
- pin5 pump(+),WBO2 pin 6
3B ECU extra connector pins:
motronic55, pin1 is EC18 pin11 (logiclevel, stepper out)
- pin1 stepper A,EC18 pin 4
- pin2 stepper B,EC18 pin 10
- pin3 stepper C,EC18 pin 5
- pin4 stepper D,EC18 pin 11
- pin5 EC36 pin 12 (power out. A logiclevel i259 ignoutput measures -12V when inactive and -5V when active, respect to +12V DVM-ground. A power ignoutput measures 0V when inactive and -11V when active, respect to +12V DVM-ground. )
- pin6 GND
The 3B extra pinout is made as requested in order note.
AAN ECU extra connector pins:
- pin1 mcp3208 pin6,ch5
- pin2 mcp3208 pin7,ch6
- pin3 mcp3208 pin8,ch7
- pin4 EC36 pin 34 (power out)
- pin5 EC36 pin 36 (power out)
- pin6 GND
On full load ecu looses sync before 6000 rpm, every time. Usually nothing can be found in log. I one log rpm drops 5700-10-5700 for one event. This happens 3 times before ecus freezes.
Another issue is that something kills egt-chip. Reading jumps between 0-1100 all the time. Regarless if sensor is connected or not.
Same problem with auditrigger and 60-2, with VR+hall and 2xhall.
All components have been changed, incl harness, coils, ecu, sensors etc.
now using 1.1.80 fw and VT of 19.8.