- Current configuration
- Primary Trigger: OEM Hitachi trigger
- Cam sync: YES
- Injectors: 5x 780cc
- Ignition: OEM
- TPS: OEM
- CLT: OEM
- IAT: NTC IAT
- IAC: OEM
- Knock: 2 ch
- Pistons & Rods @ 9:1 CR
- Garrett 3071
- 3" DP and Exhaust
Ordered motronic55 ECU:
- 1 x Assembled v3.6 controller
- Flyback: 30V flyback
- Knock input channels: 2
- LCD connection: no
- MAP connection: 400kpa
- trigger: Audi trigger
- Other options: Wheel speed input
- BMW or Purchased NTC IAT input
Documents and files to useVemsTune you will see names like EC36pin10 while you have it wired to some motronic pin. While you do the measurements, write the measured value and the pin you used, and any notes you think appropriate
Config and tables
Find the quick method on VemsTune/QuickStartAudi. For boxes sent out after 2008-07-31 check the "Cam HALL Inv." checkbox in the "Upload Config Files" step.
- check the 727cc checkbox if you have 727cc injectors
- the "AAN" and "Factory Inj" is probably the same as in the "Basic config" and "Basic Tables" (files), so they theoretically make no difference
- after you upload config, dump the config with "download config" menu, to get a "unified" config and tables for later use, and possible reports (it can be used to verify that the proper option were selected for your setup).
This quick method is useful because the config is split to basic, trigger, injector and ignout sections to support combinations of 3B and AAN engines with different injectors, with or without cam-HALL inverter and different ignition output setups.
Firmware and tuningsoftware
- (TODO: Provide link to "vemscfg" config file here )
- Temperature calibration are available when updating firmware through VemsTune.
- Coolant: NTC type 1900_256 or 2063_256 is a very good starting point when nonstandard NTC sensor is used with weak 2700 Ohm internal pullup
- MAT: PTC type 260_425 is a good starting point when the factory PTC type MAT sensor is used with the default strong 430 Ohm pullup (for some reason the 260_425 was more precise for us than 260_430)
Or make your own through EasyTherm. Measure sensor resistance against AANpin30.
- ... Ohm between 44 and 30 (MAT)
- ... Ohm between 45 and 30 (CLT)
Injectors and idle-air output measurements
Measure injector and idle air pins against AANpin37 (that is the flyback pin, same function as EC36pin23 in standard VEMS docs)
- inj cyl1, AANpin17, EC36-pin20, INJ-D
- inj cyl2, AANpin16, EC36-pin8, INJ-C
- inj cyl3, AANpin15, EC36-pin9, INJ-E
- inj cyl4, AANpin35, EC36-pin19, INJ-B
- inj cyl5, AANpin34, EC36-pin7, INJ-A
The firing order is 1-2-4-5-3 and it's ok to shift this table, it keeps the injector firing order.
Check the spreadsheet (link above) with all the pins.
( TODO: Very important. This changed to different pins on the ECU board. Config can not be re-used easily from older ECUs. When, after what date? which serial nrs are affected? )
- cyl1 AANpin1, EC18pin11 StepperD? (0x66) mdn03
- cyl2 AANpin2, EC18pin5 StepperC? (0x56) mdn02
- cyl4 AANpin20, EC18pin10 StepperB? (0x46) mdn01
- cyl5 AANpin21, EC18pin4 StepperA? (0x36) mdn00
- cyl3 AANpin23, EC36pin11 ignch4 (0x40) mdn04
Very old Motronic harnesses and ECU have swapped cylinder 1 and 3, which are AANpin1 and AANpin23, only very few were made this way.
If in doubt, just remove sparkplug high-voltage wires (easier if 1 at a time). make a small 1mm gap to ground (with a wire or a sparkplug) and used the spark output test function from within the tuning software to see if cylinders fire in the right order. It is recommended to do this for all 5 cylinders as an end-to-end test.
Measure that grounds are strongly (max 0.1 Ohm) connected inside the VEMS ECU.
- AANpin30 sensor ground
- AANpin48 trigger ground
Measure ECU pins: verify that all the above grounds are connected inside the ECU.
Measure that first 3 are connected in the harness. AANpin30 (sensor ground) and AANpin48 trigger ground are likely not connected inside the harness.
The secondary trigger crankhome-VR MUST BE reversed. Can be done in the connector on the firewall.
Measure trigger resistance against AANpin48.
- ... Ohm between 49 and 48 (135 cranktooth-VR primary trigger)
- ... Ohm between 47 and 48 (crankhome-VR secondary trigger)
Reversing crankhome-VR polarity
- Disconnect the crankhome-VR secondary trigger (3 pin AMP connector at the firewall. Was black in our AAN harness). In the female connector:
- measure with DVM which of the 3 pins go to motronic AAN pin48 (this is trigger GND)
- measure with DVM which of the 3 pins go to motronic AAN pin47 (crankhome-VR secondary trigger. The 3B engine-harness pinout is different: 3Bpin49 !!!)
- measure resistance between pin 1 and 2 in the 3pin male connector (of the sensor). You should get the same Ohm as above (eg. 980 Ohm, or 1010 Ohm or around that)
- swap the 2 wires in the female connector (red and violet in our case)
- if you cannot pull out the receptacles, than you need to cut, blank, solder and insulate
- mate the crankhome-VR secondary trigger 3pin connector (male in the female :-)
- do the measurement in the motronic pins, ... Ohm between 47 and 48 : it should still be the same (the ohm measurement is polarity independent)
Location of the trigger plug:
Wiring crank home normal:
Swap the red and violet wire:
The wire is swapped:
- ... V between pin8 and pin 30 (this needs ECU plugged in and ignition on so the ECU outputs +5V to pin12)
- changes between 0 and 4..5V as the engine rotates (push the car in gear5)
WBO2 on SSC5 male standard applies to both Audi AAN and 3B (also to BMW):
- pin1 nernst,WBO2 pin 1
- pin2 WBO2 pin 3 (use a 5A fuse from +12V supply wire)
- pin3 heater(-),WBO2 pin 4
- pin4 pump(-),WBO2 pin 5
- pin5 pump(+),WBO2 pin 6
OBSOLETE SSC4 male WBO2. was used before 2007-08 (now SSC5 is used)
- pin1 nernst,WBO2 pin 1
- pin2 pump(-),WBO2 pin 5
- pin3 pump(+),WBO2 pin 6
- pin4 heater(-),WBO2 pin 4
- Remember that WBO2 pin 3 must get heater+ from a 5A fuse from +12V supply wire ! The WBO2 heater+ does not come from the ECU (only the WBO2 heater-)
AAN ECU extra connector pins:
- pin1 mcp3208 pin6,ch5
- pin2 mcp3208 pin7,ch6
- pin3 mcp3208 pin8,ch7
- pin4 EC36 pin 34 (power out)
- pin5 EC36 pin 36 (power out)
- pin6 GND
Extra Econoseal 10 pin connector
- Documented here : [EC10 pinout]
- ( TODO: Copy information on that pdf/doc to this page, serial port/bluetooth, etc info )