Dave's BMW E30 Turbo
Started out as an 1988 BMW E30 327i (stroker using super ETA bottom end, with a 325i head), stock everything else for now.
Using a VEMS V3.3 ECU, stock 60-2 wheel and CLT temp sensor, IAT from a VW, and a TPS from a 5/7 series automatic BMW. Using original engine wire harness.
Running 19# high-z injectors.
ECU running Firmware version 1.0.71
Update May. 22 2008
The BMW is now turbo. I decided to remake the entire wiring harness for the motor. The old harness was pulled and stripped down to the bare minimum for the remaining functions (starter, alt, clt gauge for cluster, etc). A new engine harness was then made with all necessary (and new) options.
- Current configuration
- CS: Stock 60-2 Wheel and VR sensor
- Cam sync: Custom made using a magnet and hall sensor from an early VW VR6.
- Injectors: 6x Flow matched 620cc High-Z
- Ignition: Stock VR6 coilpack
- TPS: Automatic M30 TPS sensor
- CLT: Stock BMW Coolant sensor
- IAT: VW VR6 IAT (Bosch)
- IAC: Stock BMW 3 wire unit. Pin #1 - Stepper A, Pin #2 - 12VDC, Pin #3 - Stepper B
- Knock: Knock sensor mounted to a custom bolt located at the back of the block just under the head by cyl. #6 Will not be used for tuning. If knock sensor can be tuned properly (by using det cans for accuracy) will be used as a safety measure in case of a bad tank of gas)
- Launch Control: Analog Input (ch 5 - EC18-16).
Went and did some tuning and came back with... 374whp @ 18psi on 91 octane (on a very hot and humid day)
Problem with upgrade to 1.1.63
Last night I attempted an upgrade to 1.1.63 from 1.0.73, I double checked all the settings and everything seemed fine @ first. The car ran smooth and nice.
But reworking the VE table to get rid of stumbles while stationary while blipping the gas I was constantly noticing a stumble at ~2k RPM. Not matter what I did, add/decrease fuel, add/decrease timing the stumble would not go away.
So we went for a drive and found that around 2200RPM no matter what load is applied it seems like there is something pulling either fuel or timing drastically (IGN cut is my guess). I have no idea why. Everything in regards to ALS is disabled. No MAT retard is being used.
Will upload the config later today... I do not have any logs @ this time... Had to revert to 1.0.73 to make the car drive properly. Possibly could attempt to go back to 1.1.63 on the weekend for logs.
- Check your dwell timing. If you use more than available for a given rpm that will cause similar problems. (And it was not the case with older firmwares). 2200rpm is a bit low for this, however, worth a check.
- I checked dwell timing and played around with it... didn't help... what I believe did solve the issue was setting the angular width of tooth setting under primary trigger settings. For some reason after the upgrade it was 386 and not 6 like it was supposed to be/was. Seems like that fixed the issue.