|[Main]||[Questions ]||[ History]||[NewFirmwaretoVerTwo]|
This is just old info page.
Do you guys have some local-interest forums up there?
Can you put some info to OtherLinks ?
The page is just a project diary. Title includes already link to vems-group.
I haven't found any dedicated forum for MS, but in some car and electronic forums there are few topics related to MS.
Sami, I think you would earn 10 times more (experience and money) going with the group:
- servicing orders from the group manufacturing (and v3.x !)
- use the freed time to contribute doc / firmware / HW improvements (and earn bonus units now and shares too, those shares will be precious when the doc allowes to boost sales)
- earn money from making assembled cased unit from genboardv3 and
- installing the units (you probably do anyway)
- you can even open a store like Jason and Keith does on the East and West coast.
I could ask from finnish car forums if there is enough interest for v3.x. Note that production only makes sense for 40+ boards (except for development series) but since we stock it, it's OK if they only need fewer than 10.
I can make units and also assemble them but ver 2.2 is only in limits of my skills. I think I have enough skills to assemble ver 3.x.
I didn't suggest to assemble v3.x manually. I suggested to do useful work (help in design, doc, help in organizing automated assembly, ofbiz) that lasts and is awarded with credits; instead of useless work (== doing manual assembly instead of automated).
I continue my education soon and haven't enough time for all this.
Hi, where did you get your 54pin connector from? cheers andre
Again I have compile problems in CVS firmware for ver2.2 :(
avr-gcc -c -O3 -g -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=lcd_display.lst -D GENBOA
RD -D LCD -D LCD_4x20 -D PS2KEYBOARD -D BENCHMARK -D CELSIUS -D MSNS -mmcu=atmeg
a128 -I. lcd_display.c -o lcd_display.o
lcd_display.c:1039: error: parse error before numeric constant
lcd_display.c:1039: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `read_mcp3
lcd_display.c:1039: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
lcd_display.c:1039: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
C:\WinAVR\utils\bin\make.exe: *** [lcd_display.o] Error 1
Is there anywhere avaible somekind of flowchart for controlling WBo2 sensor? I'm creating standalone device and i'm stuck creating code for sensor usage.
OK, lets make cvs firmware to compile for ver2.2. I just installed new WinAVR that was released this week. I haven't had able to compile cvs firmware for a while. On the newest I firstly get this problem.
avr-gcc -c -O3 -g -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wa,-ahlms=button.lst -D GENBOARD -D LCD_4x20 -D PS2KEYBOARD -D BENCHMARK -D CELSIUS -mmcu=atmega128 -I. button.c -o button.o
In file included from avr/lcd.h:4,
C:/WinAVR/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/3.4.3/../../../../avr/include/avr/delay.h:121:3: warning: #warning "F_CPU not defined for <avr/delay.h>"
In file included from lcd.h:230,
avr/lcd.h: In function `lcd_cmd':
avr/lcd.h:55: warning: implicit declaration of function `softpwm_act'
avr/lcd.h:55: error: `lcd_backlight' undeclared (first use in this function)
avr/lcd.h:55: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
avr/lcd.h:55: error: for each function it appears in.)
make.exe: *** [button.o] Error 1
I would be very happy if new firmware versions still could support ver2.2.
Is it CVS head?
Actually, the CVS head is not for consumption at the moment. ( Not for fuel consumption at least, maybe nerve or engine consumption :-). We should break compilation for v3 too until some fixes and operation verified. Use released version from GenBoard/UnderDevelopment/FirmwareChanges.
New pictures from my homemade board.
Got my engine running with MSAVR. Engine is running pretty rich. At the end of my project page there are my current Megatune config. Comment here freely.
Web pages moved to new server. New pictures added.
Got Opel Ascona frame but the engine was small block and gearbox doesn't fit to my 18E. Stripped some elektronic from frame.
Need info for GM MAP sensor part no. 834 8298.
Not sure of type, but all 1.04 kPa MAP sensors I've seen from GM were
- A: GND (this is the rightmost pin, when looking at it natural orienation - as mounted on the firewall input nipple pointing down; not leftmost)
- B: MAP signal
- C: +5V (from EC36 Hall supply)
I got order to make another GenBoard2.2. PCB is ready and part order is done. Boards are now spreading in Finland. :)
My cylinder head suffered little damage, so my FI-project freezed. Trying find info to use Genboard ver2.2 to control ignition via standart GM distributor and dwell-control-module. I didn't find any info how to set my settings right and installation when I use this kind on setup. Module is Bosch 1 227 022 008.
I copy-paste from MembersPage/ChrisGerhardt :
I am using the existing ingition amp. The amp is wired with Signal(DB37 pin12), VCC, GND, and a 270ohm resistor between VCC and Signal. After some searching I found that this is a typical GM module that Edelbrock packaged "nicely" in Edlebrock case. The module fires on falling edge and does not control dwell time. I am using MSAVR for that.
I checked edis.c and found that
ign_activate() and ign_deactivate() functions switch IGN_PORT &= ~_BV(IGN_OUT); which is PORTB7 by default.
After searching (without result), you can probably find (or create) the right place for this info, definitely not good on memberspage (it should be on common page and memberspage should only link to it). Candidates: DummyIgnition DwellControlIgnition or somewhere else near IgnitionPage
- I connect signal from hall sensor to my recent coil input on MS(pin6)? Almost: check what mods Chris made to get the low level signal reliably to the AVR: he even has pictures (bypass the optocoupler altogether, IIRC).
- Take misc output(pin12) to my ignition module. (yes! Check if pullup to 5V is needed - ign modules usually have it internally) * No firmware changes required (use vanilla v2 firmware), just appropriate config
Got ignition working in bench, and squirt is now ready to install into car. Can I use megatune program with somekind of settings.ini file so it understands Genboard ignition map?
A: We are currently working on a .ini-file for megatune to work with all the options, until this is done, you can use the MSNS(megasquirt'n'spark) compatibility mode, OtherTuningSoftware/MegaTuneMSNS //Emil
I hammered current CVS firmware to support Genboard 2.2. Everything should work fine (it was many minor issues, like HWMAP not defined vor v2), but please do some table-testing if possible. - Marcell
Car is now running with my own ignition. I have tiny problem with signal interface. I get false triggers when engine is idling. Some times it gets about 2200 rpm signal when engine is running at 800rpm. Here is my interface.
Can you link more info about this HEI? (to a dedicated page if possible).
I didn't found any info for this ignition module. I don't even know if it is HEI. It has 6 pins, case is ground, it is similar to GM 7-pin HEI module.
Pins are marked: P and N are for inductive coil sensor. O is signal output. I is input. C is to ignition coil negative terminal and + is operating voltage.
Module is in AC DELCO distributor, GM logo printed in case. It is used in OPEL 16SV engine. It communicates with Siemens made ignition control box. Box has own map sensor.
You can find few poor quality pictures at the end of my project diary.
I've seen false triggering
- when getting signal from (alien ignition) igncoil primary using falling edge (instead of rising). Not the case here as I understand.
- bad ground or insufficient shield
shielding might be my problem.
Ok, solved my compile problems with all firmware versions. WinAVR 20050214 has some major changes I think (PGM_RDB errors). I downgraded to 20040720 and all is working again.
What is today the best tuneprogram for ver2.2? I tried to tweak MegaTune with vemsv3.ini file but configs doesn't work very well and loaded tables are rubbish.
Also tried megatunix for windows, but it reagonizes my genboard as Detected Firmware: Standard Bowling & Grippo v2.0-3.01. Can I make it reagonize my board correctly and if it does it somehow can I use it to tune all my config settings?
Got my engine running with ver2.2 board and modified mt-r027 firmware. Still lot of problems with configs. Ignition doesn't work quite right yet. Tables need scaling, reqfuel now 4.2 should be 17.2. I'm also confused injector config. Dirty datalog http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/sakrkorh/fw/datalog200604071505.xls
- WBO2 support on v2 (with helper circuit) will be gone soon
Is this helper circuit avaible somewhere? I'd like to make wbo support for my v2 board.
check my settings. I have problem with ASE.
It seems that your MAP falls - after releasing throttle? - (and certainly PW follows).
Remember that mcd, mct dumps (and firmware version) is needed to investigate something, and description of behavior that is of suspect.
Added: files http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/sakrkorh/fw/ fw=mt-r027.
- Problem is with starting. Engine starts fine but MAP value remains high before enough vacuum is developed. This leads to when cranking threshold is exceeded and MAP is still high also PW is high and engine gets flooded. You need to find out if
- MAP really stays high (eg. there is an air leak at the manifold, eg. break vacuum hose, or partially open throttle, etc...)
- or the MAP reading is bad because of
- air leak at the MAP sensor or tube (or MAP hose came off completely? unlikely because there are some fluctuations in the MAP log)
- or electrical disturbance near the MAP signal (GND problem ? Does the MAP sensor get 5V supply ? Was the sensor harassed in some way, eg too high supply ?)
- Does the log seem to match the ECM's idea of MAP (eg. LCD reading?) Seems to be an old megatune
- Is there injection tablemaker somewhere? I'm not certain that current tables are correct.
- I guess you need to tune VE :-)
- What is recommended value for cranking threshold?
- 2 (299 RPM)
- or 3 (399 RPM)
MAP readins are correct in log and in MT. As you can see before first redline engine is idling correctly. Problem is between those two redlines (starting attemp). => so those loadsites needs tuning, right ?
Made massive tuning operation. req_fuel is now 17.2 as it should be (4x170cc 1.8L). Little known HW based problem in ignition, solving as soon as possible.
- What's the deal with firmware releases that are missing important files? Like 1.0.38 that misses adc.c, wbo2.c etc. I'd still like to make patches to support v2.2 like I have made for mt-r027 fw.
- ask for SubVersionSvn access (email to Marcell, or webshop).
I though I could pay my order using IBAN/SWIFT payment, but now it says that I need EU-VAT-ID which as invidual person i dont have. Other way is, if I understood correctly, to pay XDSL Ltd. and pay extra VAT? Need little help to complete my order (#725)
This is actually changing these days. You'll be notified of the IBAN account (and options) in an hour.
Thank you Marcell. Completed payment and paid to XDLS ltd as said in email.
Made fw 1.0.38 run on ver2.2. How should I provide changes to SVN? Will I make patch file or something else?
Well, complete patch for 1.0.38 avaible here http://kotisivu.dnainternet.net/sakrkorh/fw/1.0.38/
- digitalout function works for ver2.2 also. See hwdef_v2.h for avaible pins.
- few v3 functions avaible by software (ALS, BOOST, etc). Hw mods needed. Few features tested on bench.
- Megatune files for stable mt225 version.
- NOTE!! read patch thru, to see affected changes.
- Nothing to do with this patch, but: I scoped v2 injector pwm some time ago and noticed that v2/v3 pwm is calculated differently in firmware. With v2 injpwm is directly 0..100 (0..64) and with v3 it is (255/100)*pwm (==>0..FF). I haven't check the code, but this is the case with 1.0.23. So don't burn your injectors! :(
Chocolatebox ;) arrived.