Warning: Impressions are written from a new user / first timer perspective. Bulleted recommendations are from my own perspective.
Received the package. The 3.2 board looks good quality.
- Needs to be thoroughly cleaned. Took a few goes with Electrolube Fluxclene and a nail-brush to get the residue off.
Wasn't too impressed with case endplates - different materials and the rear plate wasn't machined to take the seals. Screws were ambiguous...
- Paint endplates black to match case, and ensure machining is done (QA).
- Change screws for some stainless allen head cap-screws. 8 packaged together.
- Black seals too please.
Spent some time in wiki looking for where to start building/testing. Couldn't quite find where to begin the required assembly (if any). Searched for specifics on functions I knew I'd need - serial, idle stepper, WBO2, injector drivers.
- Clear link from board description page to a step-by-step assembly guide. Big arrow / start here / etc.
- More pictures needed in wiki. Any fuses or components that may need to be added should have a photo as well as a description.
Soldered on a 3-pin header for serial communications. Didn't see an obvious description of how to connect serial via the EC.
Soldered on the stepper driver and capacitor (after referencing the rescue kit page). What's this D45 southern-pad thing?
- Still not sure, after checking for D45 on the footprint PDF.
Soldered on the WBO2 driver. Followed picture to get orientation right.
- Referred to datasheet to make sure.
Soldered on the MAP sensor, without screws holding it to the board. No mention of orientation, and both the body and the nozzle foul components on the board depending on which side is used.
- Referred to datasheet, and mounted it on an angle...
- Should include nylon mounting nuts and bolts with sensor.
- 3.3 should have the placement revised to ensure it sits on the PCB happily.
Soldered on the power supply inductor and ran a wire between the fuse holes..
Soldered on the 2 injector channel drivers. Step-by-step said I need flyback, but high-Z injectors don't, right?
- Wrong - see below.
- Want to use channels A & B, so referred to the schematic and footprints. Maybe 3.3 can be silk screened with "Inj A", "Inj B" or similar.
Made a power cable and serial cable, then tested serial communication. Success.
Dug around in the wiki and learned that there are two flyback options, but one that works for both high-Z and low-Z injectors, and will let us run multiple injectors per bank. Soldered on the ES2J low-Z flyback diodes and wire.
- Need a note somewhere reminding to install the EC last, and to explain the extra holes in the footprint.
- 3.3 should have a hole for the flyback wire.
Back to MembersPage/RichardBarrington