Downhill Mountain biker
Got Turbo ?
Its going to be VW VR6 Turbo
SECTION ABOUT MY STUFF
April 12 2004
Going to order a v3 this week, The WEB SHOP Seems to have alot of option:
Heres what i want (fell free to modify this list if i am wrong)
- One V3
- 10 FETs ( 8 Fuel and 2 Wideband ) ( I know it more than needed )
- 8 IGBTs ( Igntion )
- 1 LCD
- 1 LM1815 ( VR interface chip. CAM SENSOR )
- a TLE4905L unipolar HALL sensor always come handy
- NTC can come handy too (board temp, or even MAT, CLT)
I also read that there's some kind of discount but i dont know if i am eligible for that (you can ask for a few % anyway, and only you know if you plan to help documenting some part of the system or the install procedure to get higher %-es).
Oh and why do we have 2 WB channels ? Is it for 2 exhausts ? (yes, actually 2 WideBand channel setup is not yet implemented in firmware).
May 18 2004
Well my work as sent me to Argentina for a couple of week. So my Genboard project is basiclly on hold until i start working back home.
June 2 2004
I Tried to put an other in Yesterday for v3.1 but alot of the stuff was marked with a *** saying that they are not in stock. Ooops.. thanx for reminding, I'll update the stock (we maintain the stock outside the shop). Everything is available.
heres my shopping cart:
- 1 x TPIC8101DW
- 1 x v3 PWMing kit
- 1 x LM1815M
- 3 x Ignition IGBT
- 5 x FET: FQPF20N06L
- 1 x GenBoard v3.x
- 1 x Econoseal36-PCB
- 1 x Econoseal36-harness
- 1 x Econoseal18-PCB
- 1 x Econoseal18-harness
Other parts like
LCD,WB sensor and connector, etc ..i will get locally.
<MCELL>Where do you get the WBO2 connector, and for how much? <Nicholas> I will write the price later on when i get it
Is there anything missing.? its for a 4 cyl wasted spark setup 60-2 wheel.
<Mcell>I'd keep a HALL sensor and an NTC in the drawer, just in case. But list looks OK. Apparently you'll use custom connector and case, not Alubos + EC ? <Nicholas> Connectors going with econoseal... and case.. i am not too worried with that for now..
June 4 2004
I justed put my order in for a v3.1
June 9 2004
Wondering if my V3.1 is shipped
June 18 2004
Got the Econo Seals in the mail today The V3.1 Should come up preatty soon i hope
June 22 2004
Got the v3.1 is in ..now the fun part starts
July 21 2004
Well its ALIVE, I put power on v3.1!...
Good job, congratulations!
But weird thing happened. MegaTune works.. Bray Terminal doesnt... Anybody knows why ??
- did you stop megatune when trying bray terminal ?
- using the proper serial port ? 9600 baudrate, 8n1 ?
- type Manmcd ?
- tried hyperterm (which sucks, but worth to try in a case like this)
Well, Now i have a bigger problem. when i put power to it. my power supply starts pulling current and voltage is around 5V... My current limiting thing on my Power supply was setup way too high. GRRr.. anyway.. i think D6 is shorted.. hopefully thats all.. any other advice... ?
July 23 2004
Definitely have a short some where.
locate the short:
- is it at the 14V side of the main regulator?
- or the 5V? unfortunately VCC short is the most annoying to find.
- as your board was working before, you can review what you changed, what was soldered recently. Small solderer can make a short relatively easily, especially on v3.0 (compared to higher v3.1 clearances).
- you have a serial number of the board? Please post that.
- the L1 L2 help a lot to locate the short
- with 5V 1A supply (such as the main regulator, but don't feed it from too high supply, since it'll get warm) will push through just enough current so you can measure with your DVM 0.1mV resolution. The supply will drop (to almost 0.0 mV) near the short.
- if the short just draws current, but does not drop voltage to near 0V, you'll feel the heat, so relatively easy to find.
July 26 2004
Well, I think i've got it down to the D6 wich if i do the 5v 1A supply test and i get somke from u3 and u6, i am hopping to change D6,U3 and U6 and move along.
From u3 and u6? that shouldn't be? check their orientation.
The only cause I can think of is if their output is shorted to supply or GND. Fortunately, it's unlikely that anything else got damaged.
Should I send you 4 FETdrivers?
- BTW what are the spec of D6 cause on the BOM could only find DIODE-SMB ? D6 supplies current for FETdrivers, less than 40 mA average. LL4189 is a common part, but any diode will do, or even a short (wire).
- S/N of my V3.1 is 58
July 28 2004
"Should I send you 4 FETdrivers?" -Mcell
No Thank you, i had 4 in the kit.. and i only need 2 (4 inj) for now, So i wil make the switch. Thannks
July 29 2004
Will order an other Genboard, Yeah!
Found somebody who will solder the SMD stuff, i tried... i just cant.. Well lets say i dont want to practice on a nice Genboard.
Mcell, if i send you my old v2.2 can you check it out ? I don't think I have the time for it. I have a bad v2.2 (probably some minor easy-to-fix error) that I haven't had time to fix for almost a year now.
If you check power, crystal, ISP connection, and still cannot talk to it via ISP than it's probably not worth to mend, as the processor is hard to unsolder (well, some people can do it easily with the right tools, I cannot). I can offer a discounted v3.x though.
I will add some $$ to my next v3.1 order for shipping back and service ??
Aug 4 2004
Okay we are back on track, the Short is located and fixed. I have 2 FET Driver that fried (Smoke and all), but i have 2 other spare.
- Always fuse you supply or use a currend limiting power supply.
- Now my MegaTune works...but on Bray something is not perfect.
- When i type "Manmcd" it outputs all the config var.
- When i type "S" nothing hapens... Opps... this is because i am in the MSAVR application and not in bootloader mode... my mistake and everything is normal than.
Okay moving along...
- Compiled the last version firmware ( SUCCESS )
- Uploaded the firmware ( SUCCESS )
- This Page was VERY VERY USEFULL: VEMS/MembersPage/JohanEriksson/VerThreeFirmForDummies
- Now i need to populate the board with the missing stuff.
- Just for the fun of it i downloaded the latest source code of MegaTune (2.20) and compiled it on VC++ 6.0
- My V3.1 S/N is 85. (Marcell sent Eagle files in email)
Aug 5 2004
Just order an other v3.x ... I am leaving for 2 weeks on monday, going to work in Argentina. I hope it will arrive by the time i come back.
Sept 12 2004
Got my sencond Genboard, and it also works. Brining them to someone today to get the needed SMD parts soldered on. One will use HighZ Inj the other one LowZ inj. Going to Argentina again for work so that will set me back an other week. I recived my MSD Coils and 3 bar MAP.
Sept 24 2004
Well i am back, and the boards are almost ready. So i am starting right now to get familiar with the firmware. I decided to add a feature, that i will need anyway. i need to code a output that will pulse at every spark, so i can plug a Tach meter. i just need to figure out if i need a PWM output or not... i was thinking using a IGBT output:
(MCELL)but you have output at every spark anyway: (Nicholas) I do but i am using wasted spark setup.
- 400V: ignition output at primary side of transformer
- 14V with a diode trick: ignition output, but with protection diode, vs. 5V or 14V (same setup as TimingLight). This could trig basically anything.
- if you have less than 8 cyl you can use an injector output (and pullup if needed). You can select (h table) for each event if you want it enabled or disabled)
First off i did a .DSW file so i can code into MS VISUAL C++ 6.0 (Its a Desktop Workspace so i can programm the firmware with a IDE interface.)
Sept 27 2004
Okay bench testing my genboard:
- TPS : WORKS
- VW TEMPS SENSOR : WORKS (But needs a calibration with easytherm)
- MAP : the 255 kpa works (But i will use GM 3 bar, so i need new calibration)
- Trigger : need to test with self-sim stuff
- inj and Ign :I will use 12 v 20w lights ( i have lots of them ) I could also use LED because any irregularity can be seen on the LED (it is fast). LED needs series resistor, 100..270 Ohm.
LCD CONNECTION : GenBoard/BuildProcedures/LCDconnect The Webshop LCD as two connectors but only one is needed to make it work. I should try it tonight.
Sept 27 2004 23:38
I got the LCD running. It was very easy, but my wiring was not too pretty, its a redo for the LCD cable. I will be making a long cable cause the LCD will be in the Dash of the car.
Sept 29 2004
Well i did again... i was playing with the firmware, and wanted to create a simple firmware where i could simply test my outputs wiring. so i started commenting out some stuff in the main for loop.
compiled it with success.. downloaded it.. now can not put the old one back.. Damn. will i have to go ISP style ?
here is what i get from the cmd window
sh-2.04$ perl bin/prog.pl megasquirt.h
ihex type 00 found 5042 times
ihex type 01 found 1 times
ihex type 02 found 1 times
ihex file read and found OK
saying Mancb33cb at 9600
No hello from AVR
we say p
didn't get reply from AVR, out of sync
- Did you try power cycling the board? That generally works. Sometimes you need to short pin 2&3 of the DB9 (or pin 1&2 of the on-board header) while powering on. Then you should be able to use prog.pl with 'Ew' rather than 'Etw'. -Jason
- What is the procedure to boot up IN bootloader. ie:do i have to remove the Short after power up ? .-Nicholas
- To power up in bootloader do just like Jason said while powering on. The first thing the code does is check for a loopback. After the processor has been running for a few milliseconds you can remove the 2-3 short -Dana
Sept 30 2004
YEAH !... Firmware back online, Thanks for you help Dana and Jason. The jumper on pin header trick worked.
Oct 2 2004
Testing more stuff.. learn the hard way that the firmware downloaded with CVS and the one from the snapshot link available on the this site are dirrerent...(i was at work behind the firewall).
For some reason i dont see my 5 v on pin 28 for my TPS supply
- Use the Hall 5V supply instead. The TPS supply resistor divider is not installed by default. Most (all?) people use the Hall supply for the TPS.
Oct 6 2004
GenBoard/Manual/WBSensorControllerCompleting does not talk about R105 and R108 because they are not needed for WBO2. They are only useful for an extra differential amplified input (for those who know what they are doing). (my Gen v3.1 are #58 and #84)
Oct 9 2004
I already fried the FETdriver chips...
Q. For HighZ inj, Is it okay is if i removed them and use a short instead ?
A. Yes, it is ok if you don't plan PWMing. Gate resistors are better at least 100 Ohm in that case. However next thing you'll fry is your AVR. The AVR is much more sensitive than the FETdriver chips. Make sure you absolutely eliminated the problem whatever it was. You could also make an entry in the KillEmAll page (I'm really interested in how the FETdrivers were killed). Also, don't forget to remove FETDRIVER_INVERTING from my_make.
Oct 25 2004
I got pics of my VEMS 3.1 with the HW on it.
Nov 26 2004
Got the car wired up.
- Map value in Megatune is different from LCD (3 BAR MSD MAP)
- Temp is way off, Using Bosch 0 280 130 085. Found the files on the Megasquirt section, but still off.
- RPM is not showing up. Using a 3 wire VW VR 60-2 Trigger Setup
- Pin EC36-27 is Signal (Getting 5 vdc here dont know why)
- Pin EC36-26 supply 5 vdc
- Pin EC36-? dont rember pinout but the analog ground.
'later in the night'
Did some search on the board, my signal goes up to pin 27 but doesnt seem to get to the LM1815.
- If those pictures are reasonably recent, it doesn't look like you have SJ1 shorted. It's on the bottom side under the blue wire on the right side (in the pic). For a VR sensor, that needs to be shorted.(I justed saw that about 30 min before you answer, but still no luck.)
Here is my config.txt its mostly based from Dave B file
Nov 27 2004
Okay, finally got our hands on a scope, checking the VR sensor singnal on EC36-27, and i see the signal perfectly with a delta of about 4 Vdc peak to peak ( at Cranking RPM ).
then right before it goes in Vin of the LM chip we have a nice signal more or less 200 mv. Here comes the triky part. the out of the LM chip, I get NOTHING ( we checked the schematic and the LM chip speced sheet and everything is wired right). I am thinking the LM chip it self is dead. Does this sound right to you guys ?
I have a spare one, i have a friend (scope meter guy, Knows ALOT about electronics) that will come back to solder the new one.
- make a more detailed measure report (every pins with scope).
- Try to GND LM1815 pin5 to switch off adaptive mode. It's more likely something external is bad, like the adaptive-peak-rectifier RC.
- The chip is unlikely to fail. Check the pullup on the output. * Remove the jumper that sends output to IC1 : maybe IC1 has some defect later in the trace (it's not v3.2, right ?)
Nov 30 2004
Well i am back on the road for work. Anyway, My friend ran some test on the LM chip during crank
- Pin1: Nothing (no connect)
- Pin2: Ground
- Pin3: Sinus of 100Hz 200mV from 0.8V@1.0V (Cranking)
- Pin4: No connect
- Pin5: Ground (after Marcell sugested)
- Pin6: No connect
- Pin7: 2.12 Volts
- Pin8: 5 Volts
- Pin9: No Connect
- Pin10: No Connect
- Pin11: No Connect
- Pin12: 160 mV
- Pin13: No Connect
- Pin14: 100 mV
May 16 2005
After working for a year in Argentina, looks i will be there and back for an other 18 months... But we did give the VEMS 3.1 to a freind and he did some bench test.. and would you know it..
we see rpm, sparks and injection.
He is not a programmer so i will try to set him up to download and compile the newest firmeware with only couple of clicks.
I am not uptodate on vems evolution right now... but having a software(megatune/megatunix) to enter ALL the parameters of the config and table files would be alot easier for people who are less pc aware.
Check the MegaTune page, r014 is including a almost complete megatune settings profile and a precompiled firmware
Just upload vems.hex from the r014 zip, using [megaloader] , start megatune and choose 8x8 Standard profile, for the other profiles, firmware recompiles is necessary
July 21 2005
Okay with the pre compiled stuff from the Megatune page its becoming alot more for regular users (read none programmer).
I noted that VEMS is moving to SVN, VERY GOOD... i love my SVN setup at work. I put everything in there (cad files,xls,etc).
Now i have 2 VEMS ready to good.. but no engine/time for it. But i have a devious plan.. turn one of my VEMS into a Water Injection on my daily driver.
- Connect a second windshield washer bowl and pump to an injector
- Hook up the MAP.
- Play with firmware to make inj go up with pressure...
- Doable you think ?
- actually, quite simple if you find a suitable injector that does not corrode from water