I have a Volvo B230 4 cyl 8 valve engine with simple trigger:
- Two teeth on crank at about 80 degrees before TDC
- Camsync occuring at TDC.
Before the fuelpump turns off (pump_on_mintime, recommended setting is 3..4 sec) sync is quick and engine starts fast
- After the fuelpump turns off, Coiltype + camsync syncup is very slow (then suddenly the "Cranking On" flag turns on and it starts and runs fine)
- after some investigation it was found that engine.status_trig=0 was added from 1.2.7 in favor of Maserati caused this slowsync after fuelpump_min_time has passed after powerup.
- fixed in [1.2.15] (since 2013-08-20). Configure longer "fuelpump ON after powerup" time if need to use 1.2.7 .. 1.2.14 fw for some reason
- Note: also working on missing tooth with camsync (overcautios syncup conditions cause slower than 1.1.96)
Here is a firmware 1.2.11 vemslog of starting and running the engine. Notice the initial cranking with no rpm signal, then suddenly "cranking on" and it starts.
If I run firmware pre 1.2.x it will sync and start immediately.
- What can I do about improving this for 1.2.0+ firmware?
- we'll investigate in detail after vemscfg or vemslog is provided. It would be very nice to also have "pre-1.2.x" vemscfg for reference, if possible.
- Are there any settings I have missed?
- unlikely, although the reftooth order might effect speed of starting (reftooth=0 entry in position 0 is theoretically best)
I have tried this on a V8 with only 90 degrees between crank teeth, it was almost impossible to get it starting. Downgrade to 1.1.96 and it fires right up every time.
Here is a typical cranking sequence, and clear to see seven (7) crank rotations before it syncs - with no fuel, so it didn't start, only for triggerlog cranking.
Here are my basic settings, anything to be changed here?