My name is Joel Zernask and I live in Tallinn, Estonia.
My project is an '86 Audi Coupe Quattro that I equipped with a V8 engine. Originally it had a 2,2 10v 100kw engine, which was swapped for 2,3 20v 125kw engine. Since there is never enough power and since I'm addicted to V8 engines, I decided to swap the R5 for a V8. I didn't want to go for 2,2 20vT because I had an S4 with that engine and got fed up with turbo lag. I'm very happy with the 4,2 S6 I currently have.
For the CQ I chose 3,6L V8 instead of 4,2 because the racing classes in Estonia brake at 4000 ccm and that 4,2l engine would put me in an unfair disadvantage.
Pictures of the swap project can be seen here -> http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/gallery2.php/main.php?g2_itemId=39824
I first thought to stick with an OEM Motronic and distributor ignition, but one of the distributors interfered with the brake booster and the OEM Motronic is no good anyway tuning wise. So I started to search for EMS's and currently I have decided that VEMS is the best option for me.
I replaced distributor ignition with Bosch wasted spark coil packs. According to very much appreciated guidance of Jörgen Karlsson, I removed the interfering distributor. I added three more pins in addition to the OEM #1 TDC pin to the flywheel, so my trigger setup now is based on 4 pins.
My VEMS shopping list was as follows:
VEMS Genboard v.3.3 (assembled and clamped) EUR448,60 options:
- 4 ignition drivers (+4 logic-level)
- will go with the Ford EDIS coil packs for now,
- but 4+4 is good, because then I'd have the chance to change the ignition type in the future
- knock and EGT EUR24,80
- LCD and PS2 keyboard EUR19,80
- Power-flyback EUR36,70
- Primary trigger: VR
- Secondary trigger: Hall
- 250kpa onboard MAP sensor (6x4mm) EUR39,80
- Econoseal36 harness EUR48,80
- Econoseal18 harness EUR34,40
- Wideband O2 sensor EUR57,70
- Wideband O2 sensor connector with wires EUR14,60
- EGT sensor EUR59,70 (this I also do not know whether I need)
Total: appr 700 EUR
All the best to you,
For more information on my VEMS configuration, see MembersPage/JoelZernask/ConfigurationPage