I'm an automotive engineer from Finland.
My current engine is stock longblock Honda D14A1. Running on GenBoard V3.2 with 1.0.77 firmware. It has modified Blox Racing intake manifold, whole exhaust setup from my 200hp D16Z6, D16A7 cam, 410cc hi-z Acura/Denso injectors. It has coil-type cranktrigger with CamSync?, running fully sequential injection and CoilOnPlug ignition with Honda Fireblade coils.
Old D16Z6 ITB-related info:
Pure AlphaN, WBO2 etc now working excellently! Engine runs damn smooth in ~any conditions, EGO correction works etc.
That AlphaN is very easy and straightforward to tune.
I also tried AlphaN blending first, but that doesn't work for NA engine with ITBs, it's only meant for smoothing idle with aggressive cams. config13 bit 2 has to be enabled via keyboard or config.txt to get AlphaN working! MegaTune doesn't have an option for changing it! I had some serious problems trying to get engine working without it first (and blending enabled in MT; It just doesn't work at all). This MegaTune / AlphaN - config13 issue is fixed in newest releases, under Alpha-N/Speed-Density Blending setting, MAP(load) multiplication.
D16Z6 Engine construction
- Bore 75mm, stroke 90mm
- Honda PM7 high dome pistons, 12:1 compression ratio
- ARP head studs, rod- and pressure plate bolts
- Reshaped/undercut stock valves (30/26mm), head ported by me [see results here]. Not bad, should be enough for 200hp goal.
- [Crower Stage 3] cam, Crower valvesprings and Ti-retainers
- 42mm ITB setup. Honda CBR954RR throttlebodies and injectors (hi-z), my own designed/made aluminum manifold. Intake total lenght 230mm.
- My own design 4-1 anti-reversion header(lenght 660mm/26", merged collector), 2.5" exhaust.
- ACT XTSS clutch Xtreme pressure plate, performance organic disc
- ACT [XACT Prolite] 3,8kg / 8.4lbs flywheel
D16Z6 sensors etc
- Original Denso IAT/CLT sensors (values equals Bosch)
- Original TPS and MAP. MAP seems to be 180kPa type (I've ~1kPa ofset) and is working perfectly.
- Maybe VAG 1.8t 20V active COPs. These are cheap, and suits fine to Honda head. Another alternative could be CBR600 F4i passive COPs. Bosch wastedspark is powerful, but not as sophisticated, and needs ignition wires as expensive as VAG COPs.
- Honeywell 1GT101DC Hall-sensor at crank. One trigger pulse/event.
- Propably some camtrigger. Needs a little bit more research with mounting, I want Hall sensor. ATM I'm driving with old D15 dizzy.
- VTEC relay output. I think I'll use one MiscOut? for this. Honda PGM-FI uses rpm, tps/map and clt as a parameters for this function, seems that I can't get clt but who cares, just remember not to use VTEC (rev past 5krpm) with cold engine (stupid anyway). Will be applied very soon. OK now!
- Bosch LSU-4 WideBand sensor
- Blue 4x20 LCD
- EGT K-type thermocouple
Current firmware version; 1.0.38
Questions and answers
Q: I'm trying to drive VTEC-solenoid (it needs positive supply, and has R of 16ohms) from stepper driver IC, because it seems to be able to supply 1A. Somehow I'm not able to get it working; I use MiscOutput?1 for it(S259 Q3 = stepper_A, right?). AFAIK when that is activated, output should go to +12V, but that doesn't seem to work.
- what do you mean by "does not work" ?
- Measure voltage
- measure current if possible
- try to activate with mdh.. command (disable the output during this experiment)
I ment that activating S259 Q3 didn't give ~Vbatt or anything else into it's output pin. I was correct, that IC needs to be enabled separately (S259 Q7).
Now it works perfect on VEMS-side, I use RPM actuation for enabling(Q7) and MiscOut?1 for VTEC control. This works now just like it should, gives good drive to solenoid. I still have some problems retated to solenoid(mechanical) or oil pressure. Oops, it was a bug in VEMS firmware, engine was perfect.. Read below.
Q: Is there any better way to enable stepper ic, than waste rpm-actuation for it? From software, hardwiring +5V to IC would be easy too.
A: Yes there are. Because MiscOutput? doesn't have CLT variable (and would be nice to have) I figured I could use waterpump drive for chip enable.
Now I've got VTEC working properly. I was considering that maybe stepper driver IC is inadequate, and made a stronger driver circuit with TIP127 PNP-Darlington transistor. I use P259 Q7 (drive_11) to active darlington (thru 330R base resistor), and also connected my CEL-light into same P259 pin to use it as a VTEC light. VTEC drive output goes to EC36 pin22 (yes, I don't have extra GND5 on it).
I still had weird behavior, and then I figured out that it works with TPS 99% and lower, but not at 100%. Then I tried to use pure RPM-actuation and it works perfect now! Later I get confirmed that this old firmware (1.0.38) has bug related to MiscOut? function, and it's been fixed in around .45-.48 versions!
Actually, I think I leave it to RPM-actuation, it seems to work so well in practice. Stepper driver seems to be adequate to drive 16ohm VTEC solenoid, if there's no other use for it.
- I used 2k7 R135 as pullup [picture]
- Replaced 33k R138 with 511R (calculated timeconstant wrong, should use much bigger resistor). Should protect from hi-freq noise? Let's see how it works.
- Wired JP18 into JP11_1, MCP3208 ch7
- EC18 pin 2 (EBP) used for launch button