BMW M52-M54 ECU repair :MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/BMWMFiftyFour
PT Cruiser turbo project : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/PTCruiser
Wheelspeed experiments : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/WheelSpeed
Assembling V3.5 board: Some pics on assembling a recent 3.5 board. MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/AssemblyThreePointFive
BMW E21 turbo project: VEMS ECU install on a BMW 320 from the '70s - M10B20 engine. MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/ETwentyOne
Turboa's streetcar project: help a friend with M30B34 Turbo (old BMW 745i) with Genboard. MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/BigSixTurbo
Zakszi street-drag projet: BMW E30 3.5 turbo, MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/Zakszi
5Hz 'Racing' GPS applicaton : Experiments with a bluetooth GPS module with 5Hz refresh frequency (instead of standard 1Hz) - MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/RacingGPS
Flyback variations : I'm trying to get better control over big injectors - MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/FlyBack
Nitrous experiments : Plan to spool turbo with N20 injection - MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/Nitrous
Volvo V40 T4 : Possibilities on VEMS-ing a year 2002 Volvo V40 T4 while keeping the stock comfort... MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/VolvoTFour
Traction Control: Since these beasts produce 500++ Nm to the rear wheels it's a good idea to have [MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/TractionControl]
Minor project : Using of round WBO2: MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/AfreshTiny
Minor project : Pressure Sensor test: MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/PressureSensor
Minor project : Injector measurement: MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/InjectorMeasurement
You can find me on some internet forums as 'lezsi'.
My project car is a BMW E30 318i from 1984.
I bought the car wit a 325i (M20) engine with a turbo, but that's sold by now, and I'm in the building of an M30 turbo engine (from a '82 745i) continuously :)
The way I bought it:
Current state (september, 2009):
Recent dyno graph:
Article on the car in a hungarian webzine:
My own 325i old project data
Below this point you find old project data of installing GenBoard onto my original M20B25 turbo engine.
Car outlines as I bought it:
- Engine: M20B25 (325i from ~1987) 2500cc, 6 cyl inline, 12 Valves, SOHC (stock, but lowered compression) [Engine bay(huge pic)]
- Fuel injection: Bosch injectors from E36 325i (part no. 0 280 150 415) maybe 190 cc/min @3.5bars. R=~16 Ohms (high impedance)
- Fuel pump: Stock in-tank + stock external
- Staging injector: Bosch no. 0 280 170 400. It comes from the jetronic cold start inj. (not a PWM system!), maybe 113 cc/min @3 bars, R=~3 Ohms. Switched by ~half throttle pos.
- Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (home made, seems working, no fuel pressure meter altough). See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/FPR
- Water injection. High pressure pump (headlight washer), Bosch cold start injector. Switched by ~half throttle pos. See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/WaterInjection
- Turbo: Mitsubishi TD04-11B (it's a small one from 324d), internal wastegate with stock mech. actuator arm.
- Idle control : stock solenoid, Bosch part no. 0 280 140 524. See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/IdleControl
- Intake: stock AFM with direct filter. Small air-to-air intercooler and a mech. pressure gauge. Some adjustable pressure valve as blow-off. Factory throttle pos switch (3 state; idle, between and WOT). See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/TPS
- stock 60-2 VR crank-trigger for Motronic 1.3, stock coil, mechanical distributor, 1 degree colder sparks. See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/Trigger
- inductive sensor from ignition cable (cyl. 6?) for cam position. See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/CamPos
- Coolant sensors: Two coolant temp (seems stock) at thermostat housing. See MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/WaterTemp
- 1. (one pinout) shows 120ohms @25c
- 2. (two pins) shows 2.18kohms @25c (this one sounds pretty standard temp sensor)
- More sensors: There's no O2 sensor, and IAT is in AFM
- Motronic 1.3 with tuned chips.
- 4.27 limited slip differential (Small housing)
First goal : Achieve maximum power output from current mechanical design with reliability in the long run. Good driveability and fuel economy is also in sight. This is done by now.
Future plan : Additional mechanical improvements possible (larger injectors, big turbo, etc.)
- Stage 0 - readonly first : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/StageZero
- Stage 1 - control injection : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/StageOne
- Stage 2 - ignition control : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/StageTwo
- Stage 3 - boost control and whatever: MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/StageThree
- WBO2 mount : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/WBO
- TPS conversion : MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/TPS
- Wiring colors, pinout, etc :[xls]
- Bugs found - MembersPage/GergelyLezsak/MegaTune
Suggestions - some of them now obsolete
I try to control EFI first and leave ignition to motronic.
Issues with this configuration:
- I have to share crank VR signal between two computers. There's a ~5V DC signal from the ECU. To share this signal, a series capacitor ("high-pass" filter) is needed so the AC is passed but DC is not. Min. value is 10uF (25V or higher recommended) - easy to mount onboard
- When two ECUs are connected, the GND easily picks up some noise so special care is needed. This is working nice now, no problems.
- consider ExhaustGasTemp (will be a small appr. 10 mm drill in the exhaust before turbo)
- It's stated that cast part need to be heated with gas welder (?), then simply weld it with CO welder. -It's all not suggested however if any other option possible.
- get a wastedspark coilpack. Common to use Ford EDIS packs, but Opel or VW might also be an option
- 3 transformers with 2 high-voltage terminals each)
- or get 2 coilpacks if you can only get coilpacks for 4 cyl (there will be a spare)
Any suggestion is appreciated...