Planning on using VEMS to control ignition only on a [b230 Volvo 4cyl engine].
Fuel is delivered by two StrÝmberg carburettors and an additional mechanical on/off valve injecting fuel in the plenum when turbo pressure reaches 0.8 bar. Current setup gave 350 hp at the wheels messured with a G-tech pro performance meter.
The standard ignition system is probable too simple and I would be far better of with VEMS controlling it by map and rpm.
As I have little knowledge how to program and set the right parameters I hope someone could help me. I have a complete V3.3 with everything mounted. I want to have it completely simple as a start. Only map and crank sensors, no tps or water/inlet temps or anything.
Standard distributor with HALL sensor
- [HALL trigger - huge picture]: scroll to see the 4-slot rotor wheel (on top of VEMS box bottom right corner).
- gives one trigger pulse somewhere btdc (adjustable) for each cylinder. confirmed
- adjust position, so that the falling edge (recommended for HALL setup) of the signal is preferrably 55..75 degrees BTDC
- we call it coil-type trigger (and configure filtering so filtering is applied in software)
- make sure HW is set up for HALL, should be OK if you ordered that way: verify voltage on primary trigger input (EC36pin27), should be > 3V without HALL sensor pulling it to GND
- a triggerplate mounted on the crank (without any belt sloppyness) gives better precision than timing from cam
- ignition drivers; ignition sequence (I have 4 IGBTs). Engine has 1342 firing sequence
- GenBoard/Manual/DigitalOut/Table in the ignition sequence
- from the assembled controller webshop text for 4 IGBT: " channel0=EC36pin35, channel3=EC36pin36, channel5=EC36pin12 and channel7=EC36pin10 are logic-level", so if you want to use the IGBT power-outputs (just my guess, maybe your ign-module likes logiclevel), set ignchmax=03 and ignition sequence to h=02 04 06 01 02 04 06 01 (it is traversed backwards)
- ignchannel-1 CYL1
- ignchannel-2 CYL2
- ignchannel-4 CYL4
- ignchannel-6 CYL3
Remember that if you have 1-pulses per event coil type trigger, you'll need camsync (or use a distributor and 1 ign-channel). GenBoard/Manual/InputTriggerCamSync This is more problematic (especially for someone getting familiar with the system), so a 60-2 or 36-1 or 24-1 or whatever multitooth wheel is often mounted on the crank and wasted spark is applied. This has proved to be a very good path, and gives (better performance through) the additional gains of precise time from crank (instead of cam). You can later use the cam transmitter (with 1 window instead of 4) as camsync (besides the 60-2 signal) if you absolutely want COP.
- Does it matter that I have not connected any of the tps or temp sensors?
- some care might be needed, even if you don't control fuel. Eg. if TPS=0, the firmware will think that idle-control is necessary. Adjust 0 or very small values for the ignition-based idle-control, and than turn off ignition-based idle-control as a caution.
- I'd apply a 10k pullup to +5V for the TPS input
- and 1k pulldown to GND for the CLT and MAT inputs
- How do I correct the map reading? I use the 400 kPa Map sensor.
- adjust MAP calibration (appr 200; kpafac variable) and offset
Any suggestions or anything is deeply appreciated! Thanks