after a discussion on IRC a few guys agrees that we need to improve the testing of firmware and handle releases in a better way.
We have a documented release system in firmware_revision.h, which basically is split into three decimal numbers
- Major version (currently 1)
- This is rarely incremented, requires a major rewrite and resign of code
- Minor version (currently 0)
- This should be incremented as soon as a firmware update
- If this number is not incremented, a new version will work with older tuning program
- Build version (currently 29ish)
- This is currently the only number increased, but should only be used for small updates that does not affect tuning part.
For this system to work, I think we should assign a testing team and release executives, who can flag that a version is stable and ready for the users. This guy is preferrably not directly involved with programming, but of course cooperates on a close level.
Any suggestions for test plan and possible candidates for a team leader / release executive are welcome on this page.
Possible candidates for the executive post
People willing to join the testing team, and devote some time to perform the future test plan for each release
Test plan proposal