This page has info about logic-level IGBTs that can be used on GenBoard/VerThree. Mainly for developers.
logiclevel IGBT TO220 mainly for ignition
Can we find an insulated clamped logic-level IGBT?
(not likely any insulated IGBTs :-( )
google: IGBT logic level clamp ignition
|ISL9V3040P3||20-30A, very powerful, Traditionally used in v3 and in WebShop|
|HGTP14N36G3VLS||similar to Jorgen's favorite, but other manufacturer||http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/HG/HGT1S14N36G3VLS.pdf|
|IRGB14C40L (IGBT)||Vce aprox 1.2v at 7A, ContCurrent? 14A, vclamp 370-430. TO220 Ignition IGBT, $205 for 100 from digikey. available in several packages, IRGS... seems to be the same. If only it was insulated. My preferred Ignition part (Jörgen). <rich1> International Rectifier lists IRGB14C40L as being available to Hungary (all EU, I think) through Digikey, IR-Overnight, Richardson Electronics, and conrad.com...||http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irgs14c40l.pdf|
|Delphi IG-2055||Not much information, too high breakdown voltage.||http://delphi.com/pdf/d/mic_ig-2055.pdf|
|Philips BUK856-400 IZ||logiclevel, clamping 350V||http://wulfman.com/pdffiles/56_400.PDF|
|STGP10NB37LZ||20A 375 V clamping TO220||http://www.st.com/stonline/books/ascii/docs/7402.htm|
|STGP10N60L||600V/10A from ST (Spoerle) This is a bit high voltage for our traces. Look for lower voltage. The distributor says this should ship fast.|
|MGP20N60||600V/20 MOT (Lomex: 2Euro) '''I don't see a vclamp, that would make it practically useless for ignition, even if we have 2 options designed on v3.0 to clamp:|
- the ignflyrail: S2D or S2G diodes selected so they clamp - used as a zener - at 300..800V
- mounting throughole diode between the siamese pads of the IGBT: Cathode=>C-middlepin, Anode=>E-3dpin-GND5). Same zener clamping as above. But we avoid it anyway.
- [fairchild searchresult], eg: ISL9V3040P3. Very nice part (Jörgen)
- other ISL parts: ISL9V2040P3 ISL9V3040P3
- Interestingly, the HGTP parts are always reported to arrive in 14 weeks, but they arrive in 3..4 weeks :-)
D2PAK (a bit too big) clamping IGBT
- IRGS14C40L 500 pieces in short time (unless their offer timed out while we were idling), otherwise many weeks.
logiclevel clamping IGBT DPAK (TO-252)
google: dpak IGBT clamping
Remember: we want to go DPAK after v3.2 !
IGBT target specs: Logic Level Fully Clamped (360 .. 600V) (often called "DPAK + Diode") min 7A (10..14 preferred) (0-10 KHz is OK)
- http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/SG/SGR20N40L.html (you won't belive this: 150A someone check other specs)
- [SGS-Thomson IGBT product Selection] lotsof nice DPAK parts!
- [SGS-Thomson IGBT ignition appnote]
- [ NGD8205N Ignition IGBT 20A/350V from onsemi: DPAK only] Very nice (Jörgen)
- http://www.st.com/stonline/prodpres/discrete/igbt/matrix.htm (someone can check the faster ones, maybe they work on logiclevel, just slower; but 7A is on the low side anyway)
- http://www.fairchildsemi.com acquired all (formerly) intersil IGBTs. Probablye that's the reason for the dual prefixes of Fairchild IGBTs.
- Toshiba ??? (where do they hide?)
It seems clamping IGBTs are often hard to get fast. If we dig up more interchangeable types (can you help?), it gets easier.
This time we are late with the order modification.
My arrow.com contact was kind enough to do some search:
- IRG4RC10S Min 750 piece kb 4-5 week Not acceptable, Not logic level and clamp characteristics is unclear
- IRG4RC20F Min 500 piece 4-5 week Not acceptable, not Logic level, unclear clamping characteristics and optimized for high frequency
- ISL9V3040D3S Min 1800 piece pr~2.16 8-10 week
- ISL9V2040D3S Min 900 piece pr~1.77 8-10 week; I think I'll order 900 mid-September so we have stock for next series, v3.2 or ARM; Please confirm here that this type will be OK I checked datasheet again, looks ok. -Jörgen
- ISL9V3036D3S Min 1800 piece pr~3.36 8-10 week
- ISL9V3040D3S DPAK. http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/IS/ISL9V3040D3S.pdf 17A, 430v
- ISL9V3036D3S http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/IS/ISL9V3036D3S.pdf 17A, 360V
- ISL9V2040D3S http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/IS/ISL9V2040D3S.pdf 10A 430V
TO220 switcher middle pin - the output
The TO220 switcher's (IGBT / FET) middle pin is used for output. With the IGBT, it is connected to the IGBT's metallic "case" (backside). The FET (FQPF20N06L we use) has a nice electrical insulator coating that reduces the risk of shorting to the alubos case even without an insulator-sheet. The insulator-sheet between the IGBT and alubos case is a must for the IGBT (old-style mica or TO220 footprint sticker insulator can also be used instead of the big sheet, of course).
|name||connected to case||risk of short to case||insulator-sheet recommended|
|FET||Drain||not on our nice black insulated FET||low||doesn't hurt|
|IGBT||Collector||yes||high||absolutely a must|
with the board powered off, measure with DVM (diode mode or resistor measurement) that
- the output pin is not connected to alubos case (if it's connected, you have a problem).
- the output is not connected to gnd
If either seems to be connected, there is a problem. Check that the insulator-sheet is applied correctly. (relieve the clamping screws and measure again).